Jan 4, 2011

White Trash Toffee

I found this recipe one day when I was looking up recipes for Heath Candy Bars. Casey's favorite candy is Heath Bars, so I decided to give this a whirl. It's really called Saltine Toffee... I like my title a little better :) Now this may seem like a funky combo for a treat, but it's actually super delicious!! You can't even tell that it's made with Saltine crackers, it is a little chewy, and it just tastes awesome. I made some and it was gone by the next morning. BUT I think it tastes even better the day after it's made...just my opinion!
Ingredients
1 1/2 sleeves saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans
  1. Preheat oven to 400*
  2. Line a cookie sheet (with sides) with foil and spray foil with nonstick spray.
  3. Place a layer of saltine crackers over entire surface of cookie sheet.
  4. In a saucepan combine the sugar and butter, stir until boiling over medium high heat.
  5. Once boiling, boil without stirring for 3 full minutes.  Immediately pour over the saltines, trying to make it as even as possible. (it won't cover every cracker)
  6. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from over, and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let the chips sit for a minute to warm up, then spread the melting chocolate over every cracker in an even layer. 
  7. Top with chopped nuts.
  8. Cool completely for an hour or so, and then break into pieces!

No comments: